Support Confronteras: Donate

All funds provided through this link are tax-deductible and support the expenses for ten youth leaders. Donate today!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Adriana: From Doctors to Advocates-- Why Confronteras?

Adriana ("Nena") Torres writes about her experience as a youth leader in CLP and her desire to join Confronteras after conversations with friends made her realize that it was possible. Nena is a senior at Norte Vista High School.
---
My name is Adriana. I'm currently a Senior At Norte Vista High School and a youth leader of the non-profit organization "Child Leader Project". I've been a member of this organization for about two years now and through this organization I have seen a new side of myself. 

This new side of me yearns to learn more about social justice and to reflect and take action when I see social justice issues. Because of this organization, I gained new knowledge, ideas and perspectives that motivate me to make a change in my community. CLP has worked and is currently working on many projects and programs that can help make a change in our community.

On February 2012, CLP took seven youth in the program CONFRONTERAS to confront the Arizona/Mexico Border. They visited detention centers, and organizations that help recently deported and detained people. They also learned about human rights, immigration laws and had developed an action plan to make a change in the Arlanza Community. When the group came back two of my friends that had gone that year sheared with me their experiences. They had said that " that was the most eye opening experiences of my life", " I learned so much and this trip made me appreciate my life and opportunities that were given to me", that had made me thinking that I would like to experience what they had. 

These two friends of mine left to Arizona wanting to be doctors, then came back saying they now wanted to study law and immigration, saying how greatly this trip had impacted their lives. Hearing their stories about the trip made me want to experience and gain all that knowledge they obtained. 

Another reason I want to go is because during 2012, my uncle was caught by ICE and was close to being deported. When my aunt and cousin heard about it, they where devastated, I was with them during that time. I felt useless during the time my uncle was detained, i knew nothing that could be of use to help. Although my uncle was released, I still think back to that time, it was the worst thing I have experienced. Then I start to think about all the families that have gone through this and weren't so luck as my uncle was, it makes me sad. 

I feel that this trip will give me new insights and inform me more about immigration and how I can bring that information to make a change in my community. On February 13th 2013, CLP CONFRONTERAS is going again to visit the Arizona/Mexico border to learn more about immigration, human rights and more information about the border-- and I'll be going with them.

---

To support Adriana Torres on this trip, you can donate! www.confronteras.blogspot.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment